What are lead assignment rules?
Lead assignment rules will change the owner of a newly created or reassigned lead based on a set of rules defined by the system administrator.
Why use lead assignment rules?
Use lead assignment rules to ensure that lead records are assigned (or re-assigned) to the correct user or queue for action.
How are lead assignment rules executed?
Lead assignment rules are executed sequentially. The first rule where the record matches the rule criteria will determine the record owner.
If the State/Province rule were 3rd in the list, then only the leads without type “Product” or “Service” and State/Province of “OH” or “Ohio” would be routed to James Smith. Rules entries are executed sequentially – the first one that matches issues assignment.
How many different lead assignment rules can I create?
You can create more than one set of many lead assignment rules, but only one can be active at a time. The active lead assignment rule is automatically selected in several scenarios, including web-to-lead submissions, as discussed below.
You may want to use multiple lead assignment rules to correspond to different processes (for instance, leads uploaded from marketing are treated differently than those created via website submission).
When are lead assignment rules triggered?
Lead assignment rules can be referenced in several different ways:
- Web-to-lead submissions. Leads created using a web-to-lead form will automatically use the active lead assignment rule.
- Optionally, when a user edits a lead. A user can check ”Assign using active assignment rule’, and this will trigger lead reassignment using the active lead assignment rule.
The admin can also configure this checkbox to be selected by default in the lead page layout properties:
- Optionally, using the data import wizard:
- Optionally, using the data loader to manipulate lead data.
How do I configure lead assignment rules?
1. Create or modify an existing assignment rule.
Navigate to Setup –> Customize –> Leads –> Lead Assignment Rules. Click a rule to modify or create a new rule:
2. Create assignment rule entries.
Add new rule entries as needed, optionally send an email to the user or queue for each new lead assigned.
3. Order your assignment rule entries.
Ensure that your rule entries are listed in the order you would like ownership established. The first rule entry that matches will trigger lead assignment.
4. Configure the default lead owner.
Navigate to Setup –> Customize –> Leads –> Lead Settings. When an assignment rule is invoked and no rule entry matched, the lead will be assigned to the default owner.